Our investment report, also known as the Canadian Cancer Research Survey (CCRS), describes the current trend in Canadian cancer research investment.
The CCRS was designed to provide details about the funding landscape for cancer research by addressing gaps, capitalizing on opportunities to partner on funding, and reducing duplication. This report is used to inform individual and joint planning, and facilitate coordination between funding organizations.
Funding information is captured from 42 organizations and programs, representing 60 to 80 per cent of the overall cancer research funding in Canada. The CCRS captures most of the peer-reviewed research from the governmental and voluntary sectors.
The technical document provides information about the CCRS’ data sources, methods, and definitions. The following key elements are important for interpreting the investment report:
- The CCRS includes over 40 organizations and data from each one covers years 2005 to 2018.
- One year refers to the calendar period of January 1 to December 31.
- A research project’s total amount of funding is pro-rated over its duration, unless annual amounts are provided by the funding organization.
- If a research project deals with more than cancer, the portion of the research focused on cancer is estimated and the project budget is adjusted to reflect that portion.
- Projects are classified by area of cancer research and cancer site using international classifications. Funding programs are also grouped by type of funding mechanism. Special topic reports have additional classifications.
- The investment shown for a funder does not include leveraged or partnered funding. If available, this investment would be included with the relevant funder or under a heading called Partner or Leveraged Funding.
- Analyses by geographic region are based on the nominated principal investigator’s, shown as PI’s, institutional affiliation.
- Investment figures are not adjusted for inflation, unless otherwise stated.
CCRA is a long-standing member of the International Cancer Research Partnership (ICRP). A portion of the data from the CCRS is submitted annually to ICRP’s online database, which captures grants funded by over 100 organizations from across the world. For more, go to https://www.icrpartnership.org/.